Friday, September 23, 2011

Take time to Breathe

Today I attended a mom coffee social and it felt amazing to be amongst other moms. Sometimes we don't realize that we need a break until we actually get the hour or two to ourselves. It's okay to take a break from time to time when you need it. It's a challenging task to be a mom and we all go through similar things in our lives at different times. So take time to breathe.

Question?
Have you ever felt like you were going to go crazy and just wanted to yell or cry or curse at your kids because your body has been craving self attention? Guess what, you're not alone. There have been many times where I just wanted to yell and say "SHUT UP" just because my brain needed mental silence to catch up to the needs of them. Actually, just the other day, I told my kids "SHUT UP, SHUT UP, Just SHUT UP!!!!" I couldn't believe I said that because in my house shut up is a "bad" phrase to say but I couldn't refrain from saying it. I could no longer be too nice and continue to ask them to be quiet because mommy was not feeling well. My body was hurting so badly and I began to feel an emotional drainage and it felt like every piece of energy was draining out of my body as if I was the tub that accumulated water then the plug was pulled and all the water began to empty into a hole.

If you ever feel that way, take the time to tell your kids that you need a break whether its 10 or 20 minutes and no matter how old they are, they will understand. I've learned that being open and honest with my kids is the best way for me as a mother so that I don't have a snapping moment.

I know that I can't be a "perfect" mom 100% of the time and I've accepted that. When I feel my body needs a moment to breathe, I allow it to happen and I tell my kids that "Mommy needs a break, I've had a long day today and if you could give me about 15-20 minutes, I am all yours." They are more understaning to your needs when you let them know what's going with you.

Just last week, I started my monthly and I was a bit crabby and grumpy for two days, I told my kids that its that time and that I may be a bit cranky for a few days, so don't get upset if I'm a little crazy and irritable.

My sons were so understanding and they both knew to stay out of the way and to just be more calm for those couple of days until I felt normal and less irritable.

SO BEING HONEST WITH YOURSELF HELPS YOU WITH BEING OPEN AND HONEST WITH YOUR KIDS.

No comments:

Post a Comment